The Church of St Laurence. Denmark

The church of St Laurence. Better known to Danes as “Tilsandede Kirke” or Sand buried church. The church has been in existence since the 13th century first recorded mention in 1387.
In 1795 the Danish King Christian VII gave permission for the church to be closed. It could not be protected from the enormous amounts of drifting sand.

The tower itself dates from the 15th century. However it was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries. Following the demolition of the church the tower was left as a landmark for ships at sea and was whitewashed. The last burial in the church graveyard took place in 1810